Architecture Office was approached by MWW1, a fabrication and prototyping company located out of Michigan, as they looked to move their facilities to Shaker Heights, Ohio. The projects envisions a ten year plan to revitalize a 1950’s auto dealership and repair shop, converting it into a state of the art digital fabrication facility with teaching space, offices and communal kitchen.
The project looks to clad the exterior with a vertical louvered façade, protecting the teaching and gallery space from direct sun. Interior materials build off hues in the existing terrazzo flooring, exposing existing structural elements and adding wood and copper tones throughout. A folding glass partition provides flexibility to the functional use of the space. Continuous linear lighting leads the visitor on a tour, from entry and reception areas to administrative offices and finally to the main workshop fitted with CNC’s, laser cutting machines, water jet and autoclave.